Teak furniture is made of strong wood that makes it a reliable material to use for household equipment. It is a quality material that can resist mould, so it would not require a heavy maintenance. Nevertheless, if you want your furniture to last longer than its usual lifespan, you should take proper care of it. If you are looking for the best ways to take care of it, check these out:
- Cover it hen not used. It is mostly used as patio item because of its superior material. If you are using it for your outdoor equipment, make sure that they are covered when you are not using them. This will prevent building dust and retain its quality.
- Dust it regularly. Dusting it twice a week can help you maintain its natural beauty. Remember that in wiping the dust, it is advisable to use a soft cloth to prevent damages.
- Properly clean it. Teak is known to be an excellent wood that is extremely durable. It is mostly used outdoors since it has a natural resistance to rot and mould. But like any other furniture, teak should also be treated with proper care to preserve its natural beauty and to make it last longer. The appropriate way to clean it is to wash it quickly with mild soap and running water. Here is a simple trick, use a mixture of bleach and vinegar when washing. This will definitely help you avoid the growth of mildew and discoloration of your teak. Another important thing, you should only use a soft plastic brush because a metal brush can cause scratches to the wood. After washing, use a clean, soft towel to dry it.
- Apply teak oil. Oiling it enhances its natural look. Applying teak oil is the best method for maintaining it. And since the outdoor environment is unstable, oiling your outdoor teak furniture should be more regular. Oil application should be done every two months.
- Remove stains as soon as you notice. Using fine-grit sandpaper will help you eliminate heavy stains. If it is placed in your patio, bird dropping is normal, you have to be mindful about the drop because it can cause stains. As soon as you see stains, get rid of it immediately.
It is also essential to keep its finest condition. It is not enough that you do the cleaning and oiling. To retain the shine and natural glow of the wood, you have to protect it from direct sunlight. If you have an outdoor deck, make sure that it is covered during daylight or you have an umbrella to keep it from drying and fading out.